Preparation time: 45 minutes
Cooking time: 3 hours
I prefer to complete step 3 and leave overnight in the fridge for flavours to develop.
1 kg good braising steak cut into cubes, or you can buy already cut
2 tblsp plain flour
500ml beef stock
1 onion sliced
2 garlic cloves crushed
250g mushrooms sliced
2 tblsp Dijon mustard
Your favourite Fair Dinkum Fare sauce to taste
1 tsp brown sugar
Pancetta or thinly-sliced bacon
- Add 2 tblsp olive oil to a heavy-based pan and fry cubes until browned. Remove from pan and drain on paper towel. Wipe pan then add 1 tblsp olive oil then the meat. Add the flour and stir for 1 minute. Add the stock and a tsp of dried thyme. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook gently for 2 – 2.5 hours until meat is tender.
- Melt the butter in a pan over a gentle heat. Add the onions and cook for 5-10 minutes until they are soft. Add the garlic, 1 tsp dried thyme and mushrooms. Raise the heat and cook until mushrooms are rich and brown. Remove from heat.
- Once the beef is soft, add mustard, sugar and chilli sauce then the onion mixture and stir through. Season with salt and pepper. Tip into a pie dish or an oven dish and set aside to cool.
- Peel, dice and cook potatoes in boiling, salted water until soft. Drain and mash with butter and milk until smooth. Cover cooled meat mixture. Top with grated cheese and layer with pancetta/bacon.
- Bake at 1800 until cheese and pancetta golden, approximately 30 minutes. Serve with green vegetables.