1kg lean beef mince
Olive oil for frying
500g onions, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves crushed
100g tomato puree (in some countries called tomato paste) from a tube
100ml tomato sauce (ketchup)
1 litre dark meat stock
150ml The Barbie sauce
500g mashed potato
250g medium cheddar cheese, grated
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan, add onions and garlic, cook over a medium heat until they soften.
- Add meat, stirring frequently until it is all browned and broken up.
- Add flour and stir for 1 minute
- Add stock, wine, The Barbie, puree, tomato sauce and stir until combined.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 45-60 mins until sauce is reduced and liquid almost evaporated, then allow to cool.
- Tip sauce into a casserole dish, cover with mashed potato then grated cheese and bake in the oven at 2000C for 45 minutes.