1 teaspoon oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and chopped into chunks
1 medium red pepper, deseeded and chopped
2 vegetable stock cubes, dissolved in 1.2 litres water
Fresh chives for decoration
Your favourite Fair Dinkum Fare chilli sauce (Add to taste)
1 pinch salt
½ teaspoon pepper, freshly ground
Plain yogurt for decoration
- Heat a large saucepan with oil. Add the onions and cook gently for about 3 minutes, until softened, not browned
- Add the butternut squash, red pepper, chilli sauce and vegetable stock.
- Heat until simmering, then cook gently for about 25 minutes, partially covered, until the vegetables are tender
- Transfer the mixture to a blender or food processor and blend for about 15-20 seconds, until smooth.
- Return to the saucepan, add the milk, reheat and season
- Ladle into warmed bowls. Serve each portion with 1 tablespoon yogurt and a few fresh chives. Season with freshly ground pepper if required.
▪ Add 100g soft cheese when the milk is added for a creamier soup
▪ Chop up 1 tablespoon chives and add after removing from blender or food processor